Monday, June 05, 2006

PHOTO/WRITING - UNDER WATER

Feel like I'm drowning
Buried over/under with angst, agitation and anger
And yet it feels so smooth, so calm.

Words, not lines, are what makes this work.

There is a ladder - steps.
Take me up and out
Anchored tightly, bolted in.

What is the foundation of my life?
Does it matter where I start?

Swimming here - alone
I'm not even in the water
The words and tensions ebb and flow
Leave the space - empty or fill it up?

Along the sides, and secure, are the bolts that hold the steps.
The bolts will anchor
Lead the way
Hold.

©June 2006 Sheila Finkelstein

Since this seems so disjointed, I'm moved to explain the process. I loved the peace and serenity of the photo, as shown in Picture to Ponder - Vol 2 - Issue 52 . Something had me print out 2 copies to enjoy, one on glossy photo paper, the other on paper on which I could draw or write.

The latter became my pallette for free form writing. Starting 1/3 of the way up from the bottom I started writing, moving my thoughts along the waves and lines.

What you've read above are the words in the sequence in which I wrote them. Some of the writing is descriptive of my feeling state at the time and some of it is commentary on what I was thinking as I used the space.

Bottom line for me now is the overall feel of the photo/writing piece as a work of art. The word flow was the release and what remains is the rhythm of the pen creating another dimension.

4 Comments:

At 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you! I get the Picture to Ponder and I do enjoy them and ponder. I just rarely take the time to comment. I really liked this one, the picture itself, the way you wrote on it. Thank you again for the ongoing stimulus to look at the world through different lenses.

 
At 6:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE this! Thanks, Sheila for sending. Your poem written on your picture falls within the defintion of "Altered Art".

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger LINDA said...

Well I had a hard time for a minute as I could not really make much since, than wow, the letters became people working on canals and my thought was mayan people water system, it took on a life of its own , I could almost see a video of people carrying fruts and vegetables from areas around the canal i seen, crazy i know but this is where i went , was a pleasant surprise.
thanks Linda

 
At 9:20 PM, Anonymous Sheila Finkelstein said...

Very interesting, Linda. I never even thought of the photo with the writing as another dimension of visual art. Wonderful thought and response. Fascinating, actually, to me.

For me the photo was the access to the words which I printed below. Of course, in the full size, the words are visible.

Thank YOU for commenting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home